How to Create Payments & Charge Manually?
Hostaway offers you options to automatically schedule payments but also manually charge guests before and during their stay. The charges can easily be set up in the guest reservations detailed page that can be found by menu reservations or by being redirected from the calendar, Inbox, or Guest Payments overview page.
To manually charge please follow the next steps:
- Go to your Hostaway Dashboard > Reservations
- Select a Reservation > Scroll down > Invoices & charges
- Add charge > Fill in the required information
- Name. A name to recognize the payment type
- Description. A short custom internal description of what the charge is about if needed
- Charge amount. In the reservation currency used for the charge
- Payment method. Important here is that you have a Credit card (online) that is using your Stripe, Autorize, or Braintree integration and the guest CC added to the reservation before. Next, you have a Credit Card (offline) such as a local card machine you use, Check, Bank Transfer, Cash, Paypal, VCC, and others. All offline and other payment methods mean you have locally managed the transactions and recognized them when paid or added them as due to be paid after which you recognize them as fully paid
- Status. When a Credit Card (online) is in use a charge always starts in "Due" status, once the CC was charged successfully the system will automatically convert the charge to "Paid" status. When any other payment method is selected you can select "Due" status to recognize the payment completed as "Paid" at a later date, for example when you are waiting for the Bank Transfer to come in. In the event, that the payment was already made locally, for example, a Cash Payment you can select the status as "Paid". The status Paid is the final status and at this time can not be changed due to a correction or refund action
- Schedule charge. Here you will be able to use the option "Charge Now" for example when your Stripe account should instantly process a CC online payment. "On Date" for example when you plan this charge to be taken at a later date. "On Event" for example on Check-in, a day before Check-out, and other options
- Add Charge to this to the reservation
After the charge has been added you will see the charge showing in the charge line on the reservation detail page. You can click on it to open the specific charge menu that offers you depending on the status various options to use.
Payment Balance Status
When in Due status:
- You will be able to edit the charge in the event changes need to be made
- You can Download the PDF receipt for the charge with the Payment details to be paid, for example in offline cases
- You can register when the offline payment is completed and paid to you
- You can cancel the charge in the event it is no longer valid or needs to be paid
When in Paid status:
- You can download the charge receipt
- Soon you will be able to refund or correct a paid status charge
When in Failed status:
- You can retry the online CC charge manually with the same or potentially newly added CC to the reservation
Note: The reservation detail page also offers the option to download a final invoice PDF. This final invoice will update during the time of reservation when you for example add additional cleanings as upsell that are charged to the final invoice breakdown or when you extend the stay and upsold one more day with a new charge. The final invoice is usually provided to the guest during check-out as a complete view of the cost for their stay and the charge receipts of payments made.