How to set up Auto-payments
With the Hostaway Auto-payments system, you can schedule automatically the charges that would need to take place for your incoming reservations which you handle the payments.
Create an Auto-payment
To create an Auto-payment please follow the next steps:
- Go to your Hostaway Dashboard > Guest Payments
- In the top bar go to Auto-payments > "Add auto-payment"
- Fill in the required information
- Title. This will be a title for internal use to recognize the template used for charges
- Channel. Select the Booking Channel the Auto-payment will apply
- Auto charges. Build your template with one or more automated charges based on the events/timing
- Listings. Select if the template will apply to all new add listings or select specific listings
Fill in the Auto charges
To use the Credit Card (Online) method, a payment processor such as Stripe must first be connected to your account. The Credit Card (Online) option is used when a charge needs to be automatically taken from the Guest's credit card by your connected payment provider.
Other payment methods can be used in the event you take payments manually for example cash on arrival, bank transfer, and others.
- Type. "Charge" is used for payments taken from the guest. "Pre-authorization" can be used to put a hold on a Credit Card, for example, to temporarily hold a security deposit amount a day before Check-out
- Title. Will indicate internally what the specific charge rule is based on
- Method. The type of payment method to use for the auto payment
- Amount. This can be a percentage, flat, or the remaining balance left to charge based on the remaining unpaid balance of the reservation
- Scheduled by. The timing of when the charging event should take place
Split Charges for Vrbo API
If you have configured split charges in Hostaway for the Vrbo channel, it will reflect in Vrbo as well. However, do bear in mind the following:
- Vrbo supports payments schedule per day, not hours. That means that any setup that includes a difference of hours from the event trigger will be rounded. The rounding is done to the nearest day to the event. For example, a trigger of 36 hours after Check-in will be rounded down to 1 day after Check-in. A trigger of 36 hours before Check-in will be rounded up to 1 day before Check-in. A trigger of 3 hours after reservation will be rounded down to a reservation
- Vrbo requires charging an amount at the moment of reservation therefore if no charge exists for that moment, the guest will only be charged Vrbo's service fee (do remember that Vrbo's service fee is always charged at the moment of reservation)
- When the auto-charged is configured with a combination of percentage and flat fees, in almost all cases the auto-charges will not be equal to the total reservation amount