Message automation offers the possibility to send messages automatically based on reservation events. With this powerful tool, you can generate "Thank you for booking" messages, "Before you arrive" messages, "Leave a review" messages and more!
Automated messages can include information collected from the listing, reservation and other details. For example, you can write: Hello [guest_name] that will then take the guest name from the reservation.
Create an automated message
In your Hostaway account, go to menu "Automations".
For your first automation, the software will give you some suggestions for automated templates.
Automations can be created for all channels, all listings or based on one listing or it can be channel specific.
In the automation creation window, you can create a new individual automation or use one of the example templates.
Using fields and custom fields in messages
You can use fields and custom fields for your automated messages. The field you select from the dropdown will automatically add the value that belongs to it when an email is sent out to a guest. For example, if you write "Hello "name_guest" it will then take the name of the guest from the reservation details and replace this text with "Hello John Do".
When you use your custom fields, make sure you understand what value will then be added. For example:
If you have created a custom field "number_restaurants" for the listing and it is 5 under listing details then the text can be "We have "number_restaurants" restaurants nearby".
This then looks like "We have 5 restaurants nearby".
If you have created 2 custom fields "number_restaurants" and "restaurant_list" that you fill with 5 names and addresses it should be something like: "We have "number_restaurants" restaurants nearby. Here is a list of the names and address: "restaurant_list"."
This then looks like "We have 5 restaurants nearby. Here is a list of the names and address: The morning star, 5*, address x etc.
Note: If (custom) field is empty, it might corrupt the message you send out. Always make sure you have entered the information for the fields you are using.
Trigger & filters
The event trigger allows you to select:
- Reservation (message is sent when a new reservation comes in)
- Arrival (message sent to the guest based on arrival day/time)
- Departure (message sent to the guest during or after check-out)
The time for sending out messages can be set depending on the event. In this way, you can send messages hours or days before or after the event took place. Keep in mind that some channels generate temporary guest email addresses that might be deleted before your automation message has been sent out. You might be willing to get the personal email address from your guest as soon as possible to make sure you can reach out to them after check-out.
Example: If you've set an automated message based on 1 hour before or 1 hour after a check-in event, this is based on the check-in time listed in the reservation details. If the time was not provided by the channel, it takes the standard check-in time from the listing details.
Sending out automations may very per channel. When you set it up, you can add a message for all your connected channels or add them based on the channel's name.
Automated messages to your guests can be sent to the guest who books any of your listings or you can create dedicated automated messages per listing.
Always Trigger Function
We have an "Always Trigger" that can send the messages at an impossible time. This is mainly used to ensure that last minute reservations will receive the messages even if there are other triggers that are usually sent before the check-in time.
An automated message meant to be sent 1 day before checking-in (03:00 PM) but the guest has just reserved on the current day will still be sent to the guest.
An automated message meant to be sent 1 day after checking-in (3:00 PM) but will be checking out the next day (11:00 AM) will still be sent to the guest even if the guest has already left the property.
However, when not ticked off (meaning it's not marked), will not send the automation if it's an impossible time.
Example: An automated message meant to be sent 1 day after checking-in (3:00 PM) but will be checking out the next day (11:00 AM) will not be sent to the guest as the guest will already have left the property.
What you need to know
- Automations can only be sent out to reservations that include an email address of the guest. Some channels may not share the email addresses based on your settings. Verify if your channel is sharing the email addresses, ask them to do this or add the email address manually after receiving it in the Hostaway channel manager.
- When you have connected Airbnb to the Hostaway software, messages come in every 20 minutes. When you need instant messaging, create an Airbnb messaging forwarding setup inside your Hostaway account.
- Automated messages sent at an event may have a delay of 5 to 10 minutes.
Backup for automatically sending emails
The automated emailing program comes with an backup fuction that send out emails instantly when the software detects an event trigger setting issue during or after setup.
- New automations are sent to all reservations made 24 hours before the new automation is created. When you create emails such as 'thank you for booking', 'check-in', 'check-out', these will be sent to them instantly.
- When your automation is set to 1 day after checking and the same day is also the check-out, the automated email will be instantly sent out.
- Automations are sent out based on the GMT time zone. Verify your local time difference to know when an automation should trigger.