Webhook is a powerful tool you can use to have Hostaway software send reservation data to 3rd party software providers having webhook support.
When you set up the webhook for your 3rd party software, some will require getting an example of the reservation data to complete the setup. You can create the webhook in Hostaway and set the URL in this 3rd party software. After this, you can make a "fake" direct booking in Hostaway under the reservations menu. This will send the data approximately 5-10 minutes later to the 3rd party so you can complete the setup. To test webhooks and how they look in payload you can use this website.
Before the 1st of April 2022, we had two webhooks - one for reservations and another one for guest messages. We released a new version that is known as unified webhook and has the following advantages:
Only need to subscribe to one webhook to receive updates.
The unified webhook triggers more events than the previous reservations webhook.
The unified webhook will trigger in the following cases:
Message received from the guest
Reservation status changed
Reservation dates/times changed
Total price changed
Door code changed
Custom field value changed
Using the unified webhook
- Log in as the admin account owner to your Hostaway dashboard.
- Go to menu settings > integrations
- Add the webhook URL for the webhook that should be addressed.
- Optionally select listings, channels, and if needed protect them with user name and password.
Important notes to consider:
- The webhook will trigger as soon as the most relevant data is ready, in some cases you may see that complex fields and data that come in later are not provided at that time. We keep improving the webhook to provide more data in the payloads as well over time.
- When using universal webhooks in combination with public API consider calling the API afterward to retrieve updated details not included in the webhook where needed.
- We plan to release a public API endpoint to create and update webhook creation by the end of 2022.
To be depreciated during the year 2024:
At this moment Hostaway also supports the 2 older webhook versions under the Reservation specific and Messages specific webhook modules as well as in the API documentation. These webhook systems are scheduled to be removed in 2024 when all clients will be asked to migrate to the new universal webhook system.
We recommend starting using the universal webhook system in any new application built or connected. For questions please do reach out to support.
What to do when you receive a notification about a webhook failure:
1. Go to "Settings>Integrations" and go down on the page to the webhook section and click in "logs":
2. Click in the button to export the csv
3. Open the CSV file in your computer and filter by Object Id (which is the reservation ID) and see what it is stated in the "Response body" field.
If all went well it will say "200", otherwise it is a error provided by the third party software you are integrating to via webhook and you'll need need to reach the third party software to ask why such error happened
Optionally, if you need for the webhook to be triggered again, you can edit the reservation and change the host notes. That will trigger the webhook to be sent.