When you are connected to Vrbo by API you might occasionally need to cancel a guest reservation. While this is not recommended to be used often in your Hostaway account you find this function under the reservations detailed page in the top right corner.
When you click on the cancelation button a pop-up will be displayed to provide a reason for being cancelled:
Once the cancellation has been confirmed in your Hostaway dashboard, it will automatically be translated as canceled in Vrbo. This process can take a few hours until the next Vrbo sync takes place.
The most common reasons are
- Owner - The property is unavailable and can not be rebooked in another unit. Often due to last-moment maintenance or in some cases a booking mistake
- Owner - The rate was incorrect. Only to use when the day rates by accident were set too low or financial details were missing
- Traveler - not able to make travel arrangements. Often used when the Guest doesn't comply with house rules or can not accommodate other needs requested for the booking
- Traveler - minimum age rule. When the Guest is under-aged or under the age you have set a minimum to allow for booking
- Traveler - no payment received. Guests where the payment for the reservations repeatedly failed or could not be completed
Guest Initiated Cancellation process
Guest should request cancellation in their Vrbo dashboard
The host should approve it (the option will be available in the message received from the guest)
The host should cancel the reservation in the Hostaway dashboard with the reason "traveler"
We send an update to Vrbo or Vrbo fetches it via the API
Guest receives an email confirming cancelation
Important to know
- You should not select Traveler reason if Traveler did not request the cancellation on their side first. You will receive an email in your mailbox and Hostaway when a guest requests cancellation within Vrbo
- Canceling reservations may impact your Vrbo property rating and could potentially cause "penalties" on your account. When you are not sure if you can cancel the reservation from your end, please contact your Vrbo Account Manager to ask for advice