The Airbnb Basic connection was a first connection set out to allow data exchange with Airbnb. This data exchange was not fully supported on API level, for example, access authentication was done through username/password (not API secret key), messaging was done through email forwarding (not Message API), etc.
Airbnb decided to develop a more secure, faster and reliable API and that is why the new Airbnb Pro connection now exists.
Airbnb with the new API has managed to clearly define the process workflows and at the same time only allow access to authorized external partners, like Hostaway.
Since the new Airbnb API is now available and commonly used, the old Airbnb API will soon be deprecated. Be sure to update your connection to Airbnb Pro as soon as possible!
Some of the new Airbnb Pro advantages are:
- Security (access authentication is now done by secret key API preventing connections to break as they did in the Basic API)
- Reliability (there are clear workflows to follow for each process and fully supported by Airbnb)
- Hostaway is one of the few Airbnb partners that fully supports Request to Book workflow in the new Airbnb API
- Make sure you can access the Airbnb account
- Make sure you are the owner of the listings in your Airbnb account
- The listing can be located in one of this zone ONLY IF you are properly licensed: New York City, NY, USA; Los Angeles, CA, USA; Boston, MA, USA; Portland, OR, USA; Manchester; England; Singapore.
- Turn off Airbnb Smart pricing for your listings (Smart pricing is not supported in Airbnb Pro connection)
- Make sure you don’t have any linked calendar or ical import, if you do, set it up in Hostway (linked calendar and iCal import is not supported in new API connection)
- Check the listing property type. If the property type is aparthotel, bnb, boutique_hotel, farm_stay, hostel, hotel, lodge, timeshare, minsu, casa_particular, pension, pousada, resort, ryokan, heritage_hotel or serviced_apartment and you have shared service fee (your guest pays service fee when making the reservation), be sure to change it to a different property type before upgrade (otherwise service fee will be changed to guest service fee only).
- Take note of the following settings: Booking requirements (after upgrade only Airbnb standard settings will be set), Lengh-of-stay discounts (only weekly and Monthly will remain, all others will be resetted) , Early-bird discounts and Last-minute discounts. This settings will be resetted and you'll need to put them back again manually after the upgrade.
Also, please note that after the upgrade your listing calendar in Airbnb will be reseted. So, if you have any rules/discounts in the Airbnb calendar, if you want, take note of them to put them back later.
- Go back to Airbnb page and (if needed) put back the settings for guest requirement as well as Lengh-of-stay discounts, Early-bird discounts and Last-minute discounts. If you had any rules/discounts directly in the calendar, put them again (you can use all of them except for minimum stay rules as minimum stay is pushed from Hostaway calendar)
- Check your messages automations in Hostaway. If you have messages automation set for Airbnb Basic you'll need to create a similar one for Airbnb PRO as well. (If message automated is defined for 'All listings' you don't need to create a similar one)
- Check listing pricing and fees by making a reservation simulation in Airbnb (especially if you have shared service fee, to confirm the fee is still showing in guest reservation)
- if needed, setup a booking window in Hostaway or block manually calendar days. Remember, Hostaway is your main calendar and any blocked dates should be blocked on Hostaway directly.
- During the first 24h/48h please check the calendar and sync and if you find anything unusual or if you have any doubts, don’t hesitate to contact the support team.
- For migrated listings, both Basic and Pro connections need to be ON
- Some settings in Airbnb will no longer be editable (for example the cleaning fee). You'll need to edit them in Hostaway
- Don't hesitate to take a look in the FAQ - Airbnb Pro connection in an account with Airbnb Basic