On September 14, 2019, Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) took effect in Europe. Under this regulation, European customer's card payments require additional authentication. Transactions that don't follow the new guidelines may be declined.
At Hostaway we have already adopted the necessary changes to accommodate SCA, but If you operate within the European Union or have European customers this new legislation still requires some updates and changes to your Stripe configuration and to your Hostaway Stripe settings. Below is what you need to do:
- Modify the Failed Payments settings in Stripe.
- Upgrade your Stripe Connection to Hostaway.
- Enter your Stripe Publishable API key in your Hostaway Stripe settings.
We have put together a quick guide on how to implement those changes. Please see it below or download it from the bottom of this article. Although the implementation of SCA will be done gradually in the coming months, we highly recommend you take these actions as soon as possible.
If you operate outside of the European Union and have no European customers we would still recommend you follow the steps above.
1. In Settings > Billing > Subscriptions and Emails
Set Retry Schedule to use Smart Retries within 1 week to avoid losing payments
2. Activate Customer Emails to Send emails when card payments fail. The email can be customized with the client's logo and brand style.
3. Activate Manage Payments that require 3D Secure. Specific reminder days settings are up to client.
4. Upgrade their Stripe API version. From Developers > API Keys
From Developers > API Keys. Click on Upgrade Available > Upgrade. We have tested the upgrades to make sure you can safely do so.
5. In Stripe go to Developers > API Keys. Copy the Publishable key
6. Go to your Hostaway Dashboard > Settings > Connectivity and click on Edit.