Beta stage: functions in the beta stage could not be fully tested before we released it to the public. When using a beta stage function keep a close eye on its behavior and report issues in detail to email@example.com.
Within your Hostaway software, you have now the option to create tasks for you and for your team members. For example, you can create a task that informs one of your cleaners when it's time to clean the room or you can create the task that reminds you to verify a new reservation and verify the payment or perhaps you are looking for a way to inform your accounts team so they can download the revenue CSV file for their records.
On this page, we will walk you through the options for manual task creation. Tasks can also be created automatically based on events.
Note: Tasks can be created with many different settings. We strongly advise you to read all the information provided here and to test different types and settings first to see if your tasks are created and showing as intended.
When you click on the menu "Tasks", you will see here all the tasks that you are managing or those that are assigned to you. When you have created a number of tasks, this window will start to look like the image below:
In the top right corner, you will find multiple filtering options and settings for your tasks overview page. You can allow the system to show all columns to you or decide that you only need some of the columns for now by not selecting the other column information.
For faster loading of the page, you can set a limit for showing tasks between 20 and 500. When you have 500 tasks, please be aware that the page will take some time to load.
Under the option "Export", you will find 2 different export options:
The first is to download to a CSV file that makes it easier for you to get an overview of all tasks, processes and perhaps payment information for your cleaners.
The second option is an iCal link. With this link, you can add your list to your personal calendar software; for example, adding to a Google calendar to keep an automatic overview of all tasks there.
When you are looking for more options to add specific information to tasks you have the option to manage custom fields.
Creating a manual task
Below, you can see that a task can have many settings and options. This way, you can use this function as one of the most flexible in this industry. It also means that it is best to test out all the options and get familiar with its behavior before you create tasks automatically.
A task can be created based on different events like previous check-in, previous check-out, check-in, check-out, next check-in, next check-out, date and time that it can start and end, real date and end times. It can also be automatically adjusted based on the reservation changes. Please read carefully the section schedule here to understand this part of the task creation:
Providing basic information
You can then fill in and provide basic information needed for your task:
- Title: Can contain any short description of the task ex. "Cleaning, Reservation check, Invoice check", etc.
- Priority: Some tasks that are assigned to a user might have a higher priority to be done than others. For example, 'Paint the window' might have a lower priority than 'Fix the door lock'. You can set the priority with number 5 as the highest and 1 as the lowest.
- Status: Tasks can have their own status. If it is an auto task, it will change based on changes as well. Statuses that are available are:
- Pending = when the task isn't confirmed as one that needs to be done or is taken.
- Confirmed = when the task is taken by one of the team members.
- In Progress = when the assigned user has started the task and has not completed it yet
- Completed = when the assigned user has ended the task
- Canceled = when the supervisor has decided it's not needed anymore or changed by auto tasks due to a canceled reservation
- Unknown = Usually an indication that the supervisor or the assigned user is unsure about the task progress
- Description: The task can have a full description of what it is about. If you are creating a task that contains multiple steps to complete, for example, 'Add a breakfast basket in the room' can contain multiple sub-tasks. You can create a checklist template first and add it to the auto task to keep the description shorter.
- Smart task: When the task is based on a reservation and this option is activated, the dates and times will change based on reservation date modifications.
- Cancel on reservation cancellation: When activated, the task will get the status 'canceled' if the reservation is canceled.
Schedule the task
With the "Task" function, you have multiple options to plan and execute the tasks you created.
An example would be: you have multiple cleanings to do and you would like to have it as a task to do on Monday the 1st of September but it needs to be completed before the next check-in at Friday the 5th of September and you would like this task to be taken by one of your cleaners who have time. With the Hostaway software for tasks, you can get this complex configuration for the task.
To do this, we have created multiple options to schedule your task based on your needs:
As you can see in the image you have 3 different types of starting and ending date and time settings.
The first one is the can start from date and time and should end by date and time. With this, you can set a fixed date and time period for the task that is not changing based on an event. For example, you set one for "Check end of the month revenue".
The second one is the started and completed date and time. Usually, you don't set this and start the task and end the task after creation to log the time.
The third one is the can start and end from events and a delay time based on its needs. With this, you can add and have tasks based on and changed on events like check-in, previous check-in, check-out etc. This allows the task software to update the task based on change on an event. When you set the task based on these events, it's important that it fits your listing/reservation profile and booking terms.
- Can start from date and time: Users can start or take the task after this fixed time
- Should end by date and time: Users should have started and ended the task before this time
- Started at date and time: When assigned user clicked on start the task, it will add the time automatically or can be edited manually when needed
- Completion at date and time: When the assigned user ended the task by completed button date and time are logged or can be edited when needed
- Can start from event and delay: These options allow you to create tasks that adjust themselves based on reservation events
- Check-in with a timing delay up to 72 hours before or after an event
- Check-out with a timing delay up to 72 hours before or after an event
- Next check-in with a timing delay up to 72 hours before or after an event
- Next check-out with a timing delay up to 72 hours before or after an event
- Previous check-in with a timing delay up to 72 hours before or after an event
- Previous check-out with a timing delay up to 72 hours before or after an event
Assign the task to a group, specific team member and supervisor
When you create a task, you can assign it to a specific team member or notify a group to ask who takes it.
- Assignee user: When you have added more team members, you can assign a task to this person
- Supervisor user: You can select the supervisor for this user
- Can be picked by group: When you have created groups, you can let them know a new task is created so one of them can pick it
Connecting the task to a listing, channel and/or reservation
When your task is related to a specific listing, channel or reservation, you can connect it to it. This is vital when you have selected the task to be a smart task.
- Listings: If the task belongs to a listing search, select the listing by this option
- Channel: If the task belongs to a specific channel, you can select it by this option
- Reservation id: If the task belongs to a reservation and although you can create a task by editing the reservation details, you can also add the Reservation ID inside the manually created task.
Add a checklist to your task
Some of your tasks might need a check if all sub-tasks are done. For example, a guest is asking for a champagne breakfast basket - for this, you can add multiple items to the task checklist so the user or team member can check them off when completed. You can also use the pre-defined checklists that you can create in checklist templates.
Add task costs
The one who is doing this task might need to spend some money for the task. For example, the assigned user would need to buy new toilet paper and you can add in how much this costs. In this window, the task creator, supervisor, or assigned user can make a note of these costs.
Note: This module has the most common currency options available. When your currency isn't listed, you can leave it empty.
Add resolution notes
When you want to get feedback from the task assignee or leave feedback for them about the result of the task, you can use this window and provide it an end score.
Add an attachment
You can upload different files to tasks or for example, help your cleaners to upload images before and after they have cleaned the room.
Add custom fields
Custom fields can contain any information you'd like to store additionally to tasks.
When you have created your task, you can save this and it will show up in the Task Overview page and can be viewed in the Hostaway calendar.