Export your listings to Vrbo
The Hostaway software allows you to create new listings on Vrbo (formerly HomeAway) by automatic export. Vrbo will connect your current listings if you have them to these newly created listings. This way you are able to have your new properties listed on Vrbo in a quicker way than when you do this manually.
- Since you are using Hostaway, you can connect to Vrbo API no matter your location or your number of listings. You can apply for API integration by completing the webform (please see below) and Vrbo team will confirm if the integration is possible.
- You need to have a signed content API contract with Vrbo (formerly HomeAway) and be in touch with a Vrbo pre-implementation specialist.
- Vrbo supports 5 currencies: USD, CAD, EUR, GBP, AUD
Note: It is important to review and complete the steps below, inform us that you have done it so we can enable the connection for Vrbo, otherwise Vrbo implementation specialist will not be able to start the integration project.
(Step 1) Set up the payment provider
Make sure that you have a Stripe or Braintree account connected with Hostaway before the integration. Once the integration is completed you will be able to charge your guest directly via Stripe/Braintree or Hostaway. Vrbo will not take payments for you.
(Step 2) Setup your auto invoice for Vrbo channel
Use the Auto charges feature to set up the payment automatically, so you will not have to process it manually. Once set up, it will apply only to the new upcoming reservations.
(Step 3) Preparing for Content Export
In your Hostaway account, update all the listings by menu Listings > Edit button per listing and provide as much information as possible. Specifically:
- Basic information tab.
- Correct and full address details of the listing.
- Make sure the bed setting is correct
- Financial settings - Property rent tax % (it can be applied to fees as well)
- Prices & fees - refundable damage deposit
- Under additional info the Check-out, check-in start, check-in end time and square meters.
- The channel-specific: title, headline, description and upload a Vrbo rentals agreement PDF
- Please make sure in Channel specific the Property Name must be between 20 - 30 characters and Property Description must be 400 characters or more.
- Handle Payment By Invoice Or At Location > Select if you process the payments by credit card or send an invoice manually to guests with payment instructions. When you select Handle Payment By Invoice Or At Location "Yes", you will need to manually send invoices to the guest to pay by bank or cash on arrival. When you select "No", Vrbo will send CC details by Hostaway to your Stripe account to charge the guest by.
- Add the contact person's information.
- Add all the amenities that exist in the Amenities tab
- Add in the Minimum Age Rule by going to Channel Manager > Channels > Configure Vrbo > Settings. Add in the minimum age of renter and click on Save.
- In Price and Fees > VRBO host channel fee,> Add the percentage Vrbo charges per reservation. This can then be used in Financial Reporting with the field HostChannelFee. Please note that it will only calculate for newly received reservations.
Important: Make sure to set up taxes for Vrbo before the integration is completed.
Also, make sure not to have any duplicate photos in the listing.
(Step 4) Set your listings export ready for Vrbo
- Go to menu channel manager > channels > Vrbo > configure > export your listings. Once exported, the listings will be enabled for Vrbo and the implementation specialist can access this during the signup process.
(Step 5) Manually add existing Vrbo Reservations to Hostaway
- If you already had listings and reservations (past and future), we will not import them.
- To import reservations, you can create them manually or do it via a CSV
If you used another Channel Manager before and that these listings have reservations, you will need to import them (manually or CSV) with the channel Vrbo. If you do not do that, Vrbo will not be able to open the properties.
You will need to upload all future reservations and reservations made 45 days before the upload day.
- After connection these reservations and its communication can not be handled by the software and continue to work directly in your Vrbo account. When one of these reservations change or cancel you need to manually update this in your Hostaway account.
(Step 6) Requesting Content Export contract from Vrbo
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your Hostaway email address and list of Hostaway listings id's that you like to export to Vrbo. We will validate your setup and will send you a signup link for Vrbo to start your integration project.
DO NOT CONTACT VRBO BEFORE HOSTAWAY VALIDATED YOUR SET UP.
Once you have received the form from us fill it in with the needed details. Make sure you mention channel management software Hostaway OY and provide the Hostaway account ID. You find your Hostaway account id in the Dashboard under the settings menu. Once you have the signed contract, your implementation specialist can import your listings.
(Step 7) Connect your HOSTAWAY > Vrbo Proxy email address
Once your account has been created in Vrbo:
- Copy VRBO inquiry email: It can be found in Channel Manager > Channels > Configure Vrbo > Settings. Copy it and add it as a secondary email address in your Vrbo account.
- After this, it may take up to 24 hours before the listing is showing on Vrbo.
When you export your listing to Vrbo, it creates an XML connection between Hostaway and VRBO software. From this moment forward, the changes you need for your property details, rates and communication needs to be handled by your Hostaway software. The Hostaway software supports the very well working basic configurations for Vrbo however when you are looking for advanced pricing, discount rate plan options to set up in Vrbo it is possible the software does not support this yet. When you need an adjustment that is not supported, let us know. We evaluate if and if so when it is expected to be possible to support this new setting. If you were using the ical connection and switched to the XML/API connection, please remove the ical link to avoid getting reservations via ical.
Time and settings review
Hostaway aims to have you exporting the highest quality listings to Vrbo in the fastest way possible. However, you as the manager, remain fully responsible to verify your listings and settings on Vrbo (formerly HomeAway) after export at all times.
Hostaway is integrated with many other channels with possibilities. Check Marketplace for more channels.